Job Title: Project Engineer I
Department: Electrical Engineering
Reports To: Director of Engineering
Full Time Position
We are seeking a Project Engineer/Control Systems Programmer with 5+ years’ experience to fill full-time positions in our fast growing Buffalo, NY office. The ideal candidate(s) will design PLC/SCADA systems, including but not limited to, control panel and system design, PLC and HMI software programming to comply with client’s requirements. You will ensure assignments are completed within budget and on schedule, and communicate effectively with team members and clients on project status and needs. Responsible for assisting with the technical development of client ordered solutions. Client solutions can be performed through various delivery methods, including Design/Build, Plans & Specification and direct engagement. The nature of the technical development may vary from CAD drawings to the configuration of PC software applications. Uses electrical field knowledge and experience to advise electrical contractors during installation process.
Duties and responsibilities
– Must be a self-starter who can multitask, maintain concise notes/lists, and follow up with open issues. Reliability is a must.
– Responsible for maintaining forecasted engineering hours, available budget and reuse of engineering tools.
– Works well within a team environment and provides input and feedback to associates.
– Identify client requirements and provide technical engineering solutions to meet or exceed client’s needs.
– Responsible for client communication through written, web conference, workshops, phone and in person mediums.
– Visit customer’s site in order to review application requirements or obtain more detailed information of existing plant conditions.
– Attend in-office meetings as required, conference calls with team members, or in-office client meetings to review the project status as it progresses through project work flow and ultimate deployment.
– Conduct on-site or on-line service calls or project meetings as required to install programming changes and/or perform hardware or software modifications supplied for start-up (SAT).
– Attend training or conferences as required.
– Read and interpret specifications and plans to determine contract requirements and communicate and execute solutions based on specifications and clarifications
– Perform factory and site testing, calibration and field repair of control panels and MCCs, VFDs, I & C equipment.
– Perform functional testing of programmed control systems, including PLCs, HMI and SCADA.
– Supervise the activity of their support services engineers assigned to the project.
– Performs diagnostic evaluation and emergency service for MCCs, PLCs/DCS, VFDs, I & C equipment including analog, digital, pneumatic and electrical controls.
– Provide 24/7 customer support as required.
– Must be a U.S. citizen with a valid Driver’s License.
– Punctual, Presents a Professional image and dresses appropriately for engagements. Business Casual is typical. Must be Reliable!
– Excellent performance and problem-solving skills in potentially stressful environments is essential.
– Excellent Interpersonal skills for collaboration and teamwork is required as well as a high attention to detail and follow through.
– Frequent and often “quick study” on new technologies is required; therefore, extensive research and reading for technical solutions is required. The ability and willingness to accept self-study courses to improve skill sets is a must.
– Proficient with CAD software or equivalent (i.e. AutoCAD, WSCAD, E-Plan).
– Ability to read and interpret PLC wiring diagrams, Control Narratives and P&ID Drawings.
– A basic understanding of NEC code and UL508A requirements is necessary.
– Ability to read electrical and mechanical schematics.
– Physical requirements include: lifting up to 25lbs, able to pick-up material at floor level, able to lift items above shoulder height, and able to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
– May on occasion, be called upon by client commitments and/or emergencies to perform work duties, after hours, weekends or holidays to restore client process operations.
Education and/or Experience
– AAS, BS Engineering degree or equivalent educational background.
– Minimum 3-5 years of applicable work experience in Engineering field required.
– 3+ years of experience in water/wastewater and/or process industry programming is a plus.
– Prior Engineering work experience in the electrical or controls field preferred.
– Prior experience with PLC platforms: Rockwell Automation Logix 500 & 5000, Siemens TIA Portal, Open IEC 61131 and Modicon platforms.
– Prior experience with SCADA Platforms (GE Proficy/iFix, RS FT View, Aveva Indusoft/ Wonderware, Iconics Genesis).